The Cheshire Historical Society
Hitchcock Phillips House
43 Church Drive
Cheshire, Connecticut 06410 USA
The following is a comparison of two important books written about historic homes of Cheshire. The first is OLD HISTORIC HOMES of CHESHIRE, CONNECTICUT, with an account of the early settlement of the town, Description of its Churches, Academy and Old Town Cemetery, Places of Interest - Roaring Brook, Scott's Rock, Barytes and Copper Mines, Ancient Trees, etc. compiled by Edwin R. Brown, illustrated by John R. Paddock, copyrighted in 1895 by E.R. Brown and J.R. Paddock, Press of Ryder Printing House, New Haven, CT. This volume is available at the Cheshire Public Library (and can be borrowed) as well as the Cheshire Historical Society Reference Library. The second book, LANDMARKS OF OLD CHESHIRE, Cheshire Tercentennial Celebration 1694 to 1994 copyright 1976 by the Town of Cheshire, Connecticut. Reprinted 1994 by Cheshire Tercentennial Committee members Lawrence O. Gode and Joseph E.B. Johnson. Note that there are copies of the LANDMARKS OF OLD CHESHIRE available for sale (we can ship to you) at the Cheshire Historical Society. The Cheshire Public Library also has copies that can be borrowed.
From 1895 OLD HISTORIC HOMES, Preface: "The following descriptions of some of the old historic homes of Cheshire, with outlines of its early settlement, etc., are given to the public with much hesitation and only after repeated requests that the information in our possession should be preserved in some permanent form. Much of the material we havge gatehred cannot now be publishsed, and many of the old homes must necesssarily be omitted, owing to the limits of this volume. The illustrations have been selected with the view of preserving ancient land-marks and buildings which are fast disappearing from view, and also of adding attractiveness to the book. Our thanks are due to all those who have generously aided us in furnishing either information or isslustratyions, and we now offer the volume to our fellow townsmen, and others whose ancestors were residents here, as a tribute to the fathers from their grateful sons." Edwin R. Brown, John R. Paddock.
|Property||Old Historic Homes||Landmarks of Old Cheshire||Status in 2012|
|Congregational Church (the third) erected in 1826 and 1827, Church Drive||pps. 14-18||pps. 3-6|
|Episcopal Church was formed in 1751 by the Rev. Ichabod Camp.||pps. 20-21|
|Temple Beth David, former Methodist Episcopal Church, erected in 1834, at a cost of $3,000||pg. 22|
|Methodist Parsonage (illustration)||pg. 23|
|Horton Hall, Cheshire Academy (Episcopal Academy erected in 1796)||pps. 27-29||Burned 9-JAN-1940|
|Bowden Hall, Cheshire Academy||pps. 27-29|
|Bronson Hall, Cheshire Academy||pps. 27-29|
|Town Cemetary, land purchased by the Town in 1864||pps. 32-36|
|Gov. S.A. Foot House, 217 South Main Street||pps. 38-41|
|The Rev. Dr. Bronson Home (E.R. Brown's House), 114 South Main Street, built by Elnathan Beach about 1795||pps. 42-44|
|The A.E. Smith's House, 140 South Main Street|
|J.L. Foot's House, 29 Wallingford Road|
Call 203-272-2574 or e-mail for more information.
Return to The Cheshire Historical Society Home Page